This is Coco she managed to get ahold of a corn cob that got lodged in her digestive tract and needed surgery. The cost was high, but thanks to the record of great vet care from Coco’s family, the Bummer Fund was able to contribute a small amount to the total cost of her surgery. This four and half year old dalmatian was able to enjoy Thanksgiving at home and will hopefully manage to avoid any more indigestion from people food.
We don’t know who nominated us to be part of the 2022 WRTA Holiday Lights campaign, but THANK YOU!!! We are truly honored to be among such an incredible group of organizations, each dedicated to improving life in the Mahoning Valley. 12 organizations were recognized, out of 50 nominations.
A dozen local organizations that “Light Up the Valley” all year long were chosen to be featured in the 2022 WRTA Holiday Lights Campaign. The 12 were chosen from more than 50 nominations submitted recently.
The 12 spotlighted organizations will be featured in TV, social media, and signs on WRTA buses through the end of the year. A special drawing will be held during the kickoff event and one organization will also win a $3,000 TV advertising campaign.
The 2022 Holiday Lights selection committee was comprised of three local leaders who will also introduce the featured organizations. The committee included Holiday Lights co-chairs Vince Brancaccio, CEO of Help Network of NEO (Suicide/Crisis Hotline), Barb Ewing, CEO of Youngstown Business Incubator and Sydney Williams CDO of New Day Recovery/On Demand Healthcare.
The 2022 WRTA Holiday Lights Featured Organizations are:
- Yellow Brick Place — Yellow Brick Place is a non-profit organization in Northeast Ohio dedicated to providing non-medical support to anyone on the cancer journey. Our purpose is to nourish and comfort the mind, body, and spirit during the fight against cancer. We provide a hopeful environment for patients, families, and caregivers. All services are free of charge.
- Youngstown Blue Coats — Its motto is “In America, Nobody Should Freeze to Death.” They provide coats, shoes and other warm clothes to veterans and homeless. In 2021 they served over 693 Veterans, 1,229 men, 663 women and 173 children.
- Glenwood Grounds — This non-profit coffee shop/cafe located in the “Fosterville” neighborhood of Youngstown, Ohio. The cafe is staffed by volunteers who gladly give their time and energy to provide a lovely, affordable, and friendly environment.
- The Bummer Fund — The Bummer Fund provides financial support to responsible pet owners in times of temporary medical crisis or emergency for a pet. Grants are provided by when catastrophic medical costs threaten to stand in the way of appropriate treatment for a beloved family pet.
- NAMI Mahoning Valley — The Mahoning Valley branch of the National Alliance on Mental Illness provides support, advocacy and education to the individuals and families of the Mahoning Valley dealing with mental illness. NAMI Mahoning Valley is a community group working on building recovery and stability.
- Cadence Care Network — Cadence Care Network, we provide a continuum of outcome-focused and family-centered treatment services helping those we serve to live their best possible life. Cadence offers Foster Care as well as behavioral health treatment for children, teenagers and adults.
- Gateways to Better Living — Gateways is a Non profit agency that provides home care for individuals with developmental disabilities. A dedicated, highly-trained staff partners with family members, guardians and other providers to help each person achieve their personal goals and build skills needed for greater independence.
- Jewish Family and Community Services — provides numerous services including educational support, assistance to those facing difficult life decisions, members of the aging community, those living with mental health disorders, and those that need developmental support. JFCS also provides home delivered meals and other outreach services.
- Alta Care Group — Alta Care Group is a local non-profit specializing in the treatment of children and adolescent behavioral health. Alta is also the federal grantee for the City of Youngstown and Mahoning County’s Head Start/ Early Head Start Program.
- Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corp. — YNDC is a citywide neighborhood planning and development organization with a mission to stabilize and revitalize neighborhoods throughout the City of Youngstown. Since 2010, YNDC has developed expertise in implementing a broad spectrum of neighborhood revitalization programs leveraging over $70 million in reinvestment in Youngstown’s neighborhoods to date.
- YoFresh Foods — YoFresh Foods is a local small business that is growing deeper roots in the Valley. Partnering with with local non profits YoFresh Foods puts a fresh look into feeding people and kids all over Mahoning Valley after starting in 2019 at the Common Wealth Kitchen I
- Boys + Girls Club of Youngstown —The Boys & Girls Club of Youngstown provides youth, ages six to 18, a safe place during out-of-school times throughout the school year and summer. The Boys & Girls Club provides access to free, healthy meals and snacks; and introduction to STEM, SMARTS, and Life Skills.
These 12 organizations will be honored at a special kick-off event on November 15.
Thank you to all who submitted nominations and congratulations to the winners!
WYSU – Interview with our President
Sue Sexton was recently interviewed by WYSU’s Gina Marinelli about the Bummer Fund. Please visit https://www.wysu.org or listen below for more information.
You’re invited to join us in our celebration of the holidays and our reflections of past accomplishments during the 25th Anniversary Dinner of The Bummer Fund
Monday, December 9, 2019
410 North Walnut St., Youngstown, 44505
Social Time, Cash Bar – 6:00 pm Buffet Dinner – 7:00 pm
Reservations are required by November 25, 2019
Seating is limited, so reserve early and bring friends! Questions?
Contact Susan at email@example.com Reservations are $30.00 per person.
The Bummer Fund invites you to our Spring Fundraising Event
Wednesday, May 23rd from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
At Magic Tree Pub & Eatery
7463 South Ave, Youngstown, OH 44512
Magic Tree is serving their famous fresh-baked pretzels with samplers of all their sweet and savory dipping sauces and a wine or beer tasting all for $25.00 per person. We’re looking forward to seeing you there and sharing an evening of great taste and friendship.
The Bummer Fund receives $10.00 for each attendee, so please invite friends! We do need an accurate attendance count before Monday May 21st so please RSVP here: http://bit.ly/bummerfund2018 before then.
The Bummer Fund will be at the St Anne Ukrainian Catholic Church’s Polish American Heritage Day 2016 on August 27th. Come learn and celebrate with our Polish friends, enjoy some pierogi, and watch as folk dancers perform traditional dances. The Bummer Fund will have a table to greet you. More information about this great event is available from Polish Youngstown
The Bummer Fund would like to invite you to to A Moment for Me yoga studio on Friday, August 19th for the Paint n’ Taste benefit. Award winning artist and educator Susan Jacobs will guide you in creating inspiring art while you enjoy light refreshments. Registration in advance is appreciated and is only $35 per person.