We don’t know who nominated us to be part of the 2022 WRTA Holiday Lights campaign, but THANK YOU!!! We are truly honored to be among such an incredible group of organizations, each dedicated to improving life in the Mahoning Valley. 12 organizations were recognized, out of 50 nominations.
A dozen local organizations that “Light Up the Valley” all year long were chosen to be featured in the 2022 WRTA Holiday Lights Campaign. The 12 were chosen from more than 50 nominations submitted recently.
The 12 spotlighted organizations will be featured in TV, social media, and signs on WRTA buses through the end of the year. A special drawing will be held during the kickoff event and one organization will also win a $3,000 TV advertising campaign.
The 2022 Holiday Lights selection committee was comprised of three local leaders who will also introduce the featured organizations. The committee included Holiday Lights co-chairs Vince Brancaccio, CEO of Help Network of NEO (Suicide/Crisis Hotline), Barb Ewing, CEO of Youngstown Business Incubator and Sydney Williams CDO of New Day Recovery/On Demand Healthcare.
The 2022 WRTA Holiday Lights Featured Organizations are:
- Yellow Brick Place — Yellow Brick Place is a non-profit organization in Northeast Ohio dedicated to providing non-medical support to anyone on the cancer journey. Our purpose is to nourish and comfort the mind, body, and spirit during the fight against cancer. We provide a hopeful environment for patients, families, and caregivers. All services are free of charge.
- Youngstown Blue Coats — Its motto is “In America, Nobody Should Freeze to Death.” They provide coats, shoes and other warm clothes to veterans and homeless. In 2021 they served over 693 Veterans, 1,229 men, 663 women and 173 children.
- Glenwood Grounds — This non-profit coffee shop/cafe located in the “Fosterville” neighborhood of Youngstown, Ohio. The cafe is staffed by volunteers who gladly give their time and energy to provide a lovely, affordable, and friendly environment.
- The Bummer Fund — The Bummer Fund provides financial support to responsible pet owners in times of temporary medical crisis or emergency for a pet. Grants are provided by when catastrophic medical costs threaten to stand in the way of appropriate treatment for a beloved family pet.
- NAMI Mahoning Valley — The Mahoning Valley branch of the National Alliance on Mental Illness provides support, advocacy and education to the individuals and families of the Mahoning Valley dealing with mental illness. NAMI Mahoning Valley is a community group working on building recovery and stability.
- Cadence Care Network — Cadence Care Network, we provide a continuum of outcome-focused and family-centered treatment services helping those we serve to live their best possible life. Cadence offers Foster Care as well as behavioral health treatment for children, teenagers and adults.
- Gateways to Better Living — Gateways is a Non profit agency that provides home care for individuals with developmental disabilities. A dedicated, highly-trained staff partners with family members, guardians and other providers to help each person achieve their personal goals and build skills needed for greater independence.
- Jewish Family and Community Services — provides numerous services including educational support, assistance to those facing difficult life decisions, members of the aging community, those living with mental health disorders, and those that need developmental support. JFCS also provides home delivered meals and other outreach services.
- Alta Care Group — Alta Care Group is a local non-profit specializing in the treatment of children and adolescent behavioral health. Alta is also the federal grantee for the City of Youngstown and Mahoning County’s Head Start/ Early Head Start Program.
- Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corp. — YNDC is a citywide neighborhood planning and development organization with a mission to stabilize and revitalize neighborhoods throughout the City of Youngstown. Since 2010, YNDC has developed expertise in implementing a broad spectrum of neighborhood revitalization programs leveraging over $70 million in reinvestment in Youngstown’s neighborhoods to date.
- YoFresh Foods — YoFresh Foods is a local small business that is growing deeper roots in the Valley. Partnering with with local non profits YoFresh Foods puts a fresh look into feeding people and kids all over Mahoning Valley after starting in 2019 at the Common Wealth Kitchen I
- Boys + Girls Club of Youngstown —The Boys & Girls Club of Youngstown provides youth, ages six to 18, a safe place during out-of-school times throughout the school year and summer. The Boys & Girls Club provides access to free, healthy meals and snacks; and introduction to STEM, SMARTS, and Life Skills.
These 12 organizations will be honored at a special kick-off event on November 15.
Thank you to all who submitted nominations and congratulations to the winners!